At Balfour Infant School we believe that high-quality Physical Education is an integral part of the whole school curriculum. We aim to provide maximum opportunities for children to be as active as possible and ensure that all pupils understand the importance of leading a healthy, active lifestyle.
At Balfour Infants we aim to:
- Promote an enjoyment of PE and physical activities
- Develop the ability to co-operate with others when working in pairs, groups and team activities
- Develop the ability to persevere in challenging activities
- Develop a positive response to healthy competition
- Develop a commitment to stay healthy through good hygiene, physical exercise and healthy eating
- Develop a healthy competitive element to certain sports
The National Curriculum programmes of study for physical education states that pupils should develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They should be able to engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
Pupils should be taught to:
- Master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns
The school organises PE in KS1 by providing a framework in which these areas are covered evenly throughout the two year groups. The school follows the Greenacre Sports Partnership scheme of work. The 6 week blocks of work cover a range of sports.
The hall and outside spaces are timetabled so that each class has two booked sessions per week. At Balfour Infant School, we have active playtimes. There is an adventure playground, race track and designated area for other play equipment e.g. hoppers, bats and balls. These activities are supervised by adults.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. We inspire children to lead healthy and active life styles, utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE. The impact of PE will be through learning walks, the PE floor books and pupil voice.
Balfour Infant School, Pattens Lane, Rochester, Kent ME1 2QT
For all general enquiries please contact our Headteacher Ms D Atkinson
Our Designated Safeguarding Lead is Ms D Atkinson
For all enquiries relating to SEND please contact our LINC Mrs M Forbes
Our Data Protection Officer is Ms D Atkinson
Tel: 01634 338280