Art & Design
At Balfour Infant School we aim to foster a life-long love of Art in our children. We aim to provide a curriculum that builds on a child’s creative experiences whilst enabling them to express themselves in a fun, practical and inspiring way. Through learning about a range of Art from a range of cultures and artists, we hope to not only develop the children’s love of the subject but an appreciation for art in all forms.
The National Curriculum for Art and Design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of Art, Craft and Design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
The teaching and implementation of the Art Curriculum is based on the National Curriculum and linked to topics, where possible, to ensure a well-structured approach to this creative subject. We ensure skills and knowledge are progressive and allows children to build on their experiences year on year. The children are constantly exposed to a range of art forms and artists. The children's learning is further enhanced with a whole school theme of ‘One Picture’ with results in a large hall displays and exhibition.
Early Years Foundation Stage pupils explore and use a variety of media and materials through a combination of child initiated and adult led activities. They have opportunities to learn to:
- Explore the textures, movement, feel and look of different media and materials
- Respond to a range of media and materials, develop their understanding of them in order to manipulate and create different effects.
- Use different media and materials to express their own ideas.
- Explore colour and use for a particular purpose.
- Develop skills to use simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately.
- Select appropriate media and techniques and adapt their work where necessary.
Key stage 1 Pupils are taught:
- To use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
- To use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
- About the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
In Art we value the process as much as or more than the final outcome. We encourage our pupils to think and talk about the process, to talk like an artist, we encourage them to have a go, and to be proud and content with their efforts. Throughout lessons children are given in the moment feedback and opportunities to improve their work. The impact of Art will be through learning walks, displays, the class learning journey floor book and pupil voice. The children will have a love, appreciation and knowledge of art, including techniques and artists. Children will develop new skills, encounter new experiences and explore a wide variety of techniques.
Balfour Infant School, Pattens Lane, Rochester, Kent ME1 2QT
For all general enquiries please contact our Headteacher Ms D Atkinson
Our Designated Safeguarding Lead is Ms D Atkinson
For all enquiries relating to SEND please contact our LINC Mrs M Forbes
Our Data Protection Officer is Ms D Atkinson
Tel: 01634 338280